Buttermilk Pancakes (from Ricki Carroll’s ‘Home Cheesemaking’)
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp granulated or brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
grease, for the griddle
1. In a medium-sized bowl, beat the egg with a hand beater until fluffy.
2. Add the buttermilk, flour, oil, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and beat until smooth.
3. Pour 1/4 cup of batter at a time onto a hot, greased griddle; cook over medium heat until pancake is dry around the edges. Turn and cook until golden brown.
Yield: 9 pancakes
Buttermilk Cornbread (from Ricki Carroll’s ‘Home Cheesemaking’)
1 tsp butter
1 1/3 cups flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/3 cup buttermilk
5 1/3 tbsp of butter, melted and cooled
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, butter, and egg. Pour into the flour mixture and stir until just moistened; do not overstir. Pour immediately into the prepared baking pan.
4. Bake for 55 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into squares and serve hot.
Yield: 9 servings