Five Reasons to Visit the Essex Street Market / What the Heck is Happening at the Essex Market?!
We get this question a lot. The short answer is SO much good stuff! The market is coming up on its 75th anniversary (wow!!) and is preparing for a big move in the next 4 to 5 years. The market needs your support more than ever during the next few years as we transition to the new space to keep it a vibrant and dynamic representation of the Lower East Side’s culinary history.
The plan for Essex Market under the SPURA redevelopment project is to rebuild the market on the south side of Delancey Street at about twice its current size. Construction is slated to begin in 2015 and scheduled to be finished in 2018. The new market will have all the vendors you know and love, plus a few new ones… We think that as the cornerstone of the SPURA redevelopment project, Essex is poised to become NYC’s premier public market, drawing locals and tourists alike to enjoy the quirky and wonderful mix of grocers, bakers, coffee roasters, cheesemongers, butchers and cooks who pour their hearts and souls into the market and call it home.
Here are five reasons (so hard to choose!) to come to the market and check out the best of the old and the new!
1. PEASANT STOCK – This delightful little soup business is a relative newcomer to the market! Located on the North end of the market behind Best Farms produce. With the onset of cooler weather, the delicious savory soups cooked by owner Christine are the perfect lunch or dinner to take home.
2. ESSEX FLOWERS – A veritable miniature botanical garden of flowers, nestled behind Luna Brothers Produce on the South end of the market. Arrangements to take to a party, potted plants for your home or gifts, it’s a one stop shop!
3. PORTO RICO COFFEE – They’ve expanded! Porto Rico is bigger, meaning more delicious coffee, tea, and sundries for all of us.
4. STICKY BUNS AT PAIN D’AVIGNON – I stumbled across one by surprise last Sunday and am now officially addicted. Try this sweet sticky pastry as soon as you can!!
5. THANKSGIVING TURKEYS FROM HERITAGE MEAT SHOP – Order ’em while you can! These unparalleled heritage breed birds with blow your Thanksgiving out of the water.