Saxelby Cheesemongers Landlubber’s Cabin Fever Sea Change
One Sea Change (or a few if you’re serving a crowd!)
Your Favorite Jar of Preserves
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Unfurl the puff pastry and lay one sheet on a cutting board. (If you’re a neophyte to the puff pastry world as I apparently am, don’t let it sit there for more than a minute. It turns from puff pastry into shatter pastry)
3. Place the Sea Change in the center and schmear the top with your favorite preserves.
4. Wrap the puff pastry around the cheese and pleat around the top
5. Cut a circular piece of puff pastry to cover the top (optional)
6. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. (Not optional. This is the part that I skipped thinking to myself ‘Hey! Cheese is always best at room temperature!’, which in hindsight was dumb because when you bake room temperature cheese it gets REALLY runny REALLY fast. I repeat, as optional as this step may seem, it is really not optional.
7. Take out of the fridge and brush the top with a one egg yolk beaten with a touch of milk.
8. Bake for 5 minutes at 400, then reduce the temperature to 350. Bake for 10-15 minutes more, or until puff pastry becomes puffy and golden.
9. Let stand at room temperature for 25 minutes or so before serving.
10. Eat and then return to step one and repeat.